Manage episode 228591933 series 2481407
96 years ago on March 5, 1923 — "Human Fly" Harry F. Young falls to his death while climbing the Hotel Martinique
49 years ago on March 6, 1970 — Weather Underground townhouse explodes
11 years ago on March 6, 2008 — An IED explodes outside Times Square Army recruitment office
2 years ago on March 7, 2017 — The 'Fearless Girl' statue is placed at Bowling Green, facing the famous Wall Street Bull statue
60 years ago on March 9, 1959 — The Barbie doll debuts at the American International Toy Fair in New York
8 years ago — The Norwegian Jewel sailing down the Hudson becomes the first post on the A Great Big City website!
8 years ago on March 4, 2011 — The TLC releases the results of their Taxi of Tomorrow survey
2 years ago on Tuesday, March 7, 2017 — FDNY Debuts New Tethered Drone with Infrared Camera
A Great Big City has been running a 24-hour newsfeed since 2010, but the AGBC News podcast is just getting started, and we need your support. A Great Big City is built on a dedication to explaining what is happening and how it fits into the larger history of New York, which means thoroughly researching every topic and avoiding clickbait headlines to provide a straightforward, honest, and factual explanation of the news. Individuals can make a monthly or one-time contribution at agreatbigcity.com/support and local businesses can have a lasting impact by supporting local news while promoting products or services directly to interested customers listening to this podcast. Visit agreatbigcity.com/advertising to learn more.
Park of the day
- Captain Rivera Playground — 156th Street in Woodstock in the Bronx — This playground honors Captain Manuel Rivera, Jr., a Marine pilot from the Bronx who died during a training mission in Operation Desert Shield.
- If you're interested in keeping the city's parks clean, visit Canarsie Park for the Forest Restoration event on Saturday, March 9th. Volunteer with the Stewardship Team to protect natural areas in Canarsie Park and learn how to identify and safely remove invasive plants in order to help create a healthier ecosystem. Come dressed in sturdy boots or shoes, long pants, and clothing that can get dirty. Please bring your own water bottle to this event. Space is limited and registration is required. Start time: 10:00 am End time: 12:00 pm Contact phone: (718) 392-5232 Location: Seaview Avenue and East 108th Street in Fresh Creek Nature Preserve in Canarsie, Brooklyn.
- Cold Cave, ADULT, Psychic TV, and Sextile are playing Brooklyn Steel on Monday, March 4th
- The Monochrome Set and The Jetbeats are playing The Bowery Ballroom on Monday, March 4th
- Ice Cube is playing Terminal 5 in New York City on Wednesday, March 6th
- Morbid Angel, Blood Incantation, Cannibal Corpse, and Necrot are playing the Playstation Theater on Thursday, March 7th
- Nothing, Candy, and Tony Molina are playing Brooklyn Bazaar on Thursday, March 7th
- State Champs and Our Last Night are playing the Best Buy Theater on Friday, March 8th
- The Black Queen, Kanga, and Uniform are playing the Music Hall of Williamsburg on Friday, March 8th
- Robyn is playing Madison Square Garden on Friday, March 8th
- Trisomie 21 and Brighter Death Now are playing Brooklyn Bazaar on Friday, March 8th
- The Sound of Animals Fighting is playing Terminal 5 on Friday, March 8th
- Queensrÿche, Fates Warning, and The Cringe are playing Irving Plaza on Saturday, March 9th
- Weezer, Basement, the Pixies, and TV on the Radio are playing Madison Square Garden on Tuesday, March 12th
- Teenage Fanclub and The Love Language are playing The Bowery Ballroom on Wednesday, March 13th
- The Movielife and Travis Shettel are playing the Brooklyn Night Bazaar on Friday, March 15th
- Massive Attack is playing Radio City Music Hall on Friday, March 15th
- The Bouncing Souls and Strike Anywhere are playing White Eagle Hall in Jersey City on Saturday, March 16th
Find more fun things to do at agreatbigcity.com/events.
New York Fact
Here's something you may not have known about New York:
- Central Park's Great Lawn was originally a reservoir of fresh water for city's water supply system. In 1931, it was filled in with material excavated from Rockefeller Center and the Eighth Avenue subway
The extreme highs and lows for this week in weather history:
Record High: 79°F on March 10, 2016
Record Low: 3°F on March 5, 1872
Weather for the week ahead:
Mainly dry and well below normal temperatures are expected through mid-week.