Manage episode 251299114 series 2481407
11 years ago on January 15, 2009 — Captain Sullenberger lands USAir Flight 1549 in the Hudson River, an event that would become known as the Miracle on the Hudson
19 years ago on January 17, 2001 — A 2.4 magnitude earthquake strikes the Upper East Side of Manhattan
63 years ago on January 21, 1957 — The Mad Bomber is arrested after planting at least 33 bombs that injured 15 people
50 years ago on January 22, 1970 — The first Boeing 747 enters commercial service on a Pan Am route from JFK Airport to London Heathrow
15 years ago on January 23, 2005 — The FDNY suffers "Black Sunday" when three firefighters are killed are four are injured in two separate fires — Fatal fires break out in Brooklyn, Queens and Bronx early Monday — one victim likely murdered before blaze
105 years ago on January 25, 1915 — Alexander Graham Bell places the first transcontinental long-distance telephone call from New York to San Francisco
2 years ago — Gov. Cuomo Pledges State Funds to Re-Open Statue of Liberty — Sunday, January 21
2 years ago — January 24 in History: Fraunces Tavern Bombing Kills Four — Wednesday, January 24
1 year ago — Survey Says: Bring on the Marijuana, But None For Me, Thanks — Thursday, January 24
A Great Big City has been running a 24-hour newsfeed since 2010, but the AGBC News podcast is just getting started, and we need your support. A Great Big City is built on a dedication to explaining what is happening and how it fits into the larger history of New York, which means thoroughly researching every topic and avoiding clickbait headlines to provide a straightforward, honest, and factual explanation of the news. Individuals can make a monthly or one-time contribution at agreatbigcity.com/support and local businesses can have a lasting impact by supporting local news while promoting products or services directly to interested customers listening to this podcast. Visit agreatbigcity.com/advertising to learn more.
AGBC is more than just a news website: Every evening, just before sundown, A Great Big City checks the Empire State Building's lighting schedule and sends out a notification if the tower's lighting will be lit in special colors for a holiday or celebration. Follow @agreatbigcity on social media to receive the alerts.
Park of the day
This is the AGBC Concert Calendar for the upcoming week:
- Teddy Swims is playing Mercury Lounge on Saturday, January 25th at 7pm.
- Mat Kearney is playing New York Society for Ethical Culture on Saturday, January 25th at 7pm.
- Billy Joel is playing Madison Square Garden on Saturday, January 25th at 8pm.
- LAUNDRY DAY is playing Bowery Ballroom on Saturday, January 25th at 8pm.
- Goose is playing Music Hall of Williamsburg on Saturday, January 25th at 9pm.
- Itzy - Band is playing Kings Theatre on Sunday, January 26th at 8pm.
- Lauren Alaina is playing Bowery Ballroom on Monday, January 27th at 8pm.
- Phora is playing Bowery Ballroom on Tuesday, January 28th at 7pm.
- Stray Kids is playing The Hulu Theater at Madison Square Garden on Wednesday, January 29th at 6pm.
- Ali Gatie is playing Bowery Ballroom on Wednesday, January 29th at 7pm.
- Iann Dior with Landon Cube are playing Gramercy Theatre on Wednesday, January 29th at 8pm.
- Heilung is playing Webster Hall on Wednesday, January 29th at 8pm.
- The Wood Brothers with Kat Wright is playing Webster Hall on Thursday, January 30th at 7pm.
- Loud Records 25th Anniversary with Wu Tang Clan , Big Pun tribute, Fat Joe, Mobb Deep and more are playing Radio City Music Hall on Thursday, January 30th at 8pm.
- The Wood Brothers with Kat Wright is playing Webster Hall on Friday, January 31st at 7pm.
- George Dalaras is playing Apollo Theater on Friday, January 31st at 8pm.
Find more fun things to do at agreatbigcity.com/events.
Today's fact about New York
Here's something you may not have known about New York:
- Ward's Point in Tottenville, Staten Island is the southernmost point of both New York City and New York State
The extreme highs and lows for this week in weather history:
Record High: 72°F on January 26, 1950
Record Low: -6°F on January 24, 1882
Weather for the week ahead:
Rain on Saturday.
Thanks for listening to A Great Big City. Follow along 24 hours a day on social media @agreatbigcity or email firstname.lastname@example.org with any news, feedback, or topic suggestions. Subscribe to AGBC News wherever you listen to podcasts: iTunes, Google Play, or Player FM, Spotify, Podcast Addict, or listen to each episode on the podcast pages at agreatbigcity.com/podcast. If you enjoy the show, subscribe and leave a review wherever you're listening and visit our podcast site to see show notes and extra links for each episode.