Episode 103: Is This Just Therapy…in Disguise? w/ Dr. Bryan and Amy Grace
Manage episode 349097907 series 2869262
Welcome to Episode 103 of the Being Human Podcast: Is it Psychotherapy in Disguise? w/ Dr. Bryan and Amy Grace
Is there a real difference between traditional psychotherapy and IDDM (Mentorship)? Or is it actually therapy just disguised as something new? What are the differences exactly? And how can IDDM be effective and personal if it’s not face to face? This week on the podcast, Dr. Greg welcomes back co-hosts Dr. Bryan and Amy Grace for a deep dive into these questions and more!
Discussed in this episode:
- The difficulty of fully understanding IDDM prior to an experience of it;
- The daily aspect of IDDM as a means of entering a client’s life in a more experiential and consistent way;
- What is projection, and how does it impact our relationship with God?
- Scrupulosity as a disorder that needs deeper spiritual dimensions integrated into psychological help given;
- The tendency to apply psychological experience to God and how IDDM helps to remove blocks in how we relate to God.
- IDDM as entering into the messiness of the touchpoints between psychology and spirituality;
- How the model is more personal despite dialogue through recorded voice messages rather than face to face;
- The Catholic anthropology (upon which IDDM is based) as deeper than “cultural Catholicism” or the use of prayer in session;
- The subjective criteria of diagnosis and why insurance companies do not support our model;
- The importance of speaking with a professional who understands how and for what purpose the human person is made;
- Our need for the transcendent in order to make sense of suffering and death.
Resources mentioned or relevant:
- Explore how IDDM can help you: Schedule a free 15-minute consultation call with our staff!
- Learn about IDDM (Mentorship);
- Being Human episodes referenced: Ep.#84: What Does Catholic Anthropology Even Mean? and Ep. #100: Misconceptions about Men’s Emotions;
- Listen to Being Human Episode #6: Introducing IDDM;
- Book: The Body Keeps the Score by Bessel Van Der Kolk
- Become a member of the Integrated Life Community to get access to every course Dr. Greg has created;
- Download The Integrated App for access to free audio exercises, the Catholic Mindfulness Virtual Retreat, courses, prayer resources, and more;
- Sign up for Being Human, our weekly newsletter, to stay up to date on exciting developments at CatholicPsych;
- Visit our website to read the CatholicPsych blog, shop in the CatholicPsych bookshop, or discover other resources we have available.
- Learn more about our new Certification;
Contact us! Have a topic or a question you would like Dr. Greg to address on the podcast? Want to give some feedback about this episode? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org - we would love to hear from you!
Rate, review, and subscribe
Please help us in our mission to integrate the Faith with Psychology by hitting subscribe and also sharing this podcast with your friends.
Please consider rating or leaving a review of our show. It helps us reach other Catholics just like you who want to become more integrated, whole, and happy human beings.
For Apple podcasts, click here, scroll to the bottom, tap to rate 5 stars, and choose “write a review.” Then type your sincere thoughts about the show!
If you haven’t already, make sure to subscribe so you don’t miss out on any episodes. Subscribe to the podcast now!