Manage episode 265411835 series 52378
In this special episode of Brain Science host Dr Ginger Campbell reads an excerpt from her bestseller "Are You Sure? The Unconscious Origin of Certainty." While it might seem ironic to talk about certainty during these extremely uncertain times, understanding how our brain generates the feeling of knowing or certainty is actually more relevant than ever.
Are You Sure? The Unconscious Origins of Certainty is based on several early episodes of Brain Science and highlights the work of retired neurologist Dr. Robert Burton. Both physicians are fascinated by the surprising discovery that most of what our brain does is outside conscious awareness. They explore the evidence behind this claim as well as its implications. Ultimately they agree that this discovery could encourage us all to have more compassion and tolerance for both ourselves and others.
Links and References:
- Are You Sure? The Unconscious Origins of Certainty by Virginia "Ginger" Campbell, MD (Click here to buy)
- A Skeptic's Guide to the Mind: What Neuroscience Can and Cannot Tell Us About Ourselves (2013) by Robert Burton
- On Being Certain: Believing You Are Right Even When You're Not (2008) by Robert Burton
- Dr. Campbell video with Jenn Grace: https://youtu.be/-ZY2Tah8EIU
- Recent podcast appearances by Ginger Campbell
Please Visit Our Sponsors:
- Thanks to the support of loyal Brain Science listeners, Are You Sure? was the number 1 release in Neuroscience on Amazon for several days and it reached #4 on the Neuroscience best seller list. Click here to buy the book.
- Learn how you can support Brain Science at http://brainsciencepodcast.com/donations
- Sign up for the free Brain Science Newsletter to get show notes automatically every month. You can also text the word brainscience to 55444 to sign up.
- Check out the free Brain Science Mobile app for iOS, Android, and Windows. (It's a great way to get both new episodes and premium content.)
- Send email to email@example.com or post voice feedback at http://speakpipe.com/docartemis.
Connect on Social Media:
Contact Dr. Campbell:
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Voicemail: http://speakpipe.com/docartemis