Manage episode 377686562 series 52378
This month's episode of Brain Science features Thomas Metzinger, author of "The Ego Tunnel: The Science of the Mind and the Myth of the Self." Metzinger is a philosopher with a longstanding interest in Philosophy of Mind with a focus on incorporating the findings of neuroscience. We discuss the implications of the discovery that consciousness is a biological process generated by the interaction of the brain, body, and external world. Metzinger also emphasized the importance of considering altered states including dreaming, out of body experiences, and even virtual reality.
Links and References:
- The Ego Tunnel: The Science of the Mind and the Myth of the Self, by Thomas Metzinger.
- Being No One: The Self-Model Theory of Subjectivity, by Thomas Metzinger.
- Blanke, et al., "Stimulating Illusory Own-Body Perceptions," Nature, 419:269-270 (2002)
- O. Blanke & T. Metzinger,"Full-Body Illusion and Minimal Phenomenal Selfhood," Trends in Cognitive Neuroscience 13(1):7-13 (2009).
- T. Metzinger, "Out of Body Experiences as the Origin of the Concept of a 'Soul,'" Mind and Matter 3(1):57-84 (2005)
- Beyond the Body: An Investigation of Out of Body Experiences by Susan Blackmore
- Please visit http://brainsciencepodcast.com for additional references and episode transcripts.
- Please FOLLOW the Brain Science podcast channel on YouTube.
- The mobile app has been updated and is now called Brain Science Podcast. The app is free and MyLibsyn Premium subscribers can use it to access transcripts and other premium content.
- Dr. Campbell's arrived in Auckland, New Zealand on August 10, 2023. She is working at Tōtara Hospice. Please reach out if you live in New Zealand or Australia.
- Please subscribe or follow Brain Science in your favorite audio app and please share it with others.
- Get free gift "5 Things You Need to Know about YOUR Brain when you sign up for the free Brain ScienceNewsletter to get show notes automatically every month. You can also text brainscience to 55444 to sign up.
- Support Brain Science by buying Are You Sure? The Unconscious Origins of Certainty by Virginia "Ginger" Campbell, MD. (Autographed copies are available)
- Learn more ways to support Brain Science at https://brainsciencepodcast.com/premium
Connect on Social Media:
- Mastodon: https://neuromatch.social/@docartemis
- Twitter: @docartemis
- Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/brainsciencepodcast
Contact Dr. Campbell:
- Email: email@example.com