Ep. 174 - Precedential Decisions from 8/21/2023 - 8/27/2023 (CAT deferral; prosecution as persecution; extortion & asylum; credibility & inconsistencies; wire fraud; +$10,000 loss; child soldier & mental health in Sudan)
Manage episode 375462591 series 2857723
Murillo Morocho v. Garland, No. 22-1881 (1st Cir. Aug. 21, 2023)
- CAT deferral; prosecution as persecution; consent or acquiesce; willful blindness; prison violence in Ecuador
Montoya-Lopez v. Garland, No. 23-1036 (1st Cir. Aug. 21, 2023)
- past persecution; particular social group; “family members of a business owner perceived as wealthy”; "people who have fled gangs instead of continuing to pay extortion"; extortion as persecution; economic deprivation; El Salvador
Munoz-Rivera v. Garland, No. 22-3124 (7th Cir. Aug. 24, 2023)
- domestic violence type asylum; material inconsistency; waiver of argument
Robbertse v. Garland, No. 22-1739 (8th Cir. Aug. 21, 2023)
- wire fraud; 18 U.S.C. § 1343; aggravated identity theft; 18 U.S.C. § 1028A(c)(5); INA § 101(a)(43)(M)(i); circumstance specific approach; over $10,000; sentencing documents and burdens; plea colloquy; particularly serious crime; N-A-M-
Deng v. Garland, No. 22-3621 (8th Cir. Aug. 25, 2023)
- CAT deferral; child soldier; South Sudan; hypothetical link in the chain; torture in prison; mental health
Sponsors and friends of the podcast!
Kurzban Kurzban Tetzeli and Pratt P.A.
Immigration, serious injury, and business lawyers serving clients in Florida, California, and all over the world for over 40 years.
"Modern immigration software & case management"
Joorney Business Plans
"Business-critical documents for every stage of your journey"
For 30% off use code: REVJOORNEY30
Want to become a patron?
Immigration Review® is a podcast made available for educational purposes only. It does not provide legal advice. Rather, it offers general information and insights from publicly available immigration cases. By accessing and listening to the podcast, you understand that there is no attorney-client relationship between you and the host. The podcast should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed attorney in your state.
"Loopster," "Bass Vibes," "Chill Wave," and "Funk Game Loop" Kevin MacLeod - Licensed under Creative Commons: By Attribution 4.0
Support the show