Manage episode 326326062 series 2614389
In this episode, I'm joined by Gary Veron, Associate Athletic Director for Student-Athlete Experience at BYU.
BYU has been very proactive in its approach to name, image and likeness, so I invited Gary on to discuss what's going on in Provo. We dive into:
- How Gary's position morphed from compliance to an NIL focus
- Why BYU took a more proactive approach toward NIL right off the bat
- The overwhelming response from Provo and alum to NIL
- Why BYU has seen so many team-wide and group NIL deals
- How the story of the BYU athlete is different
- The course the athletic department created around NIL
- The Shark Tank-style competition they hosted for student athletes
- What student athletes have said they want more education on
- The role public speaking has played in NIL
- How collectives are impacting NIL and recruiting
- The letter of inquiry they received from the NCAA'
You can connect with Gary on LinkedIn or Twitter.
Are you a collective or thinking about starting one? Check out the new NIL Collectives Insider!
You can also follow me on Twitter and Instagram to discuss further, ask additional questions or suggest future episodes.
You can find more of my analysis on the business of college sports at BusinessofCollegeSports.com and Forbes.