The Death of Stephen Smith, Part 2 | The Murdaugh Murders, Money & Mystery | Unsolved South Carolina
Manage episode 313805693 series 3288722
In part two of our look into the unsolved death of Stephen Smith, we drill into the persistent rumors of the Murdaughs being somehow involved.
Questions we attempt to answer this week include:
- How did the Murdaugh name get brought into Stephen Smith's death investigation?
- How far did law enforcement go down that rumor trail after Stephen's death?
- What brought investigators back to that angle of the case six years after Stephen died?
Investigators with the South Carolina Highway Patrol interviewed at least 18 people as part of their probe in the year that followed Stephen's death. You'll hear more of those interviews, and what the troopers thought about the case in this week's episode.
One thing becomes abundantly clear very quickly: State Troopers do NOT believe Stephen's death was an accidental hit-and-run. It's a murder investigation from the get-go in there eyes.
Meanwhile, Stephen's mother, Sandy, his sister, Stephanie, and their entire family have been left in a lurch just wanting answers and justice as year after agonizing year has passed with no resolution.
Is there hope of finality on the horizon?
More on the Murdaugh saga: https://abcnews4.com/murdaugh
Unsolved South Carolina is a production of ABC News 4 in Charleston, South Carolina.
- Anne Emerson - Host, Producer
- Drew Tripp - Executive Producer, Social Media, Graphic Design
- Daniel Michener - Producer, Audio Engineer
- Maxwell Harrison, KJ Morrison - Music
- Douglas Stewart - Graphic Design
Please consider leaving a review and a rating if you enjoy the podcast. It greatly helps spread the show to other listeners.
Follow the show on social media at @UnsolvedSCPod. That's the name to find us on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.