Hmmm there seems to be a problem fetching this series right now. Last successful fetch was on December 15, 2021 19:10 ()
What now? This series will be checked again in the next day. If you believe it should be working, please verify the publisher's feed link below is valid and includes actual episode links. You can contact support to request the feed be immediately fetched.
Manage episode 237523065 series 2481407
Moving the Fourth of July fireworks back to the Brooklyn Bridge for the first time since 2014 went off without any problems, although it did leave a few flames burning on the bridge after the fireworks were finished. It seemed to be the smoldering remains of the fireworks casings or leftover chemicals and not the infrastructure of the bridge itself. The FDNY fireboats stationed in the East River made quick work of the flames, holding back from using the full force of their water cannons so as not to damage the bridge. This was the 43rd annual Macy's fireworks display.
From the editor: A Great Big City will no longer publish to Facebook
It's been three years now since a tourist stepped on an explosive device in Central Park, and police have no new leads into where the device came from or its intention. If you have any information or photos from that day, contact NYPD CrimeStoppers at 1-800-577-TIPS (1-800-577-8477), via text message at CRIMES (274637), or via online form. In 2017, the NYPD and ATF increased the reward for potential leads to $40,000.
33 years ago on July 7, 1986 — A man with a sword attacks Staten Island ferry passengers
8 years ago on July 7, 2011, we were tracking the first seasonal case of mosquitoes infected with the West Nile virus being detected in the region. According to data collected by the CDC, July begins the active season for West Nile infections, which are spread via mosquito bites, so now is the time to be prepared and protect yourself from mosquitoes if you will be outside. If you'll be traveling overseas, take special precaution to avoid mosquito bites, and consider a vaccination against diseases that are common in the areas where you will be traveling. If you're staying in the city, you can even do your part by calling 311 with a report of standing water, defined as a place on public or private property where water gathers and remains for more than five days, creating a habitat where mosquitoes may breed.
108 years ago on July 9th, 1911, the New York Times described how a streak of hot weather, with temperatures reaching 100 degrees during the beginning of July 1911, made it difficult to transport ice from insulated storage warehouses to the "Greeks and Italians who have little ice depots in convenient basements", where people found it more convenient than waiting for the ice delivery wagons.
Special honor goes out this week in recognition of Alelia Murphy, who will celebrate her 114th birthday on July 6th in Harlem. She is believed to be the oldest living American. Ms. Murphy was born in North Carolina in 1905 and has lived in Harlem since the 1920s.
A Great Big City has been running a 24-hour newsfeed since 2010, but the AGBC News podcast is just getting started, and we need your support. A Great Big City is built on a dedication to explaining what is happening and how it fits into the larger history of New York, which means thoroughly researching every topic and avoiding clickbait headlines to provide a straightforward, honest, and factual explanation of the news. Individuals can make a monthly or one-time contribution at agreatbigcity.com/support and local businesses can have a lasting impact by supporting local news while promoting products or services directly to interested customers listening to this podcast. Visit agreatbigcity.com/advertising to learn more.
AGBC is more than just a news website: Our fireworks page monitors the city's announcements of upcoming fireworks, lists them on our site, and automatically sends out a notification just before the fireworks begin, so that you can watch the show or prepare your pet for the upcoming sounds of explosions. Visit agreatbigcity.com/fireworks to see the full calendar and follow @agreatbigcity on social media to receive the alerts
Park of the day
- The Big Park in Staten Island — Big Park was originally named Grandview Playground, but was always called "the big park" by locals, so it was renamed during renovation in 2017. The park has a wide array of playground equipment and sports fields. Positioned at the southwest corner of the Mariner's Harbor NYCHA houses, Big Park adds a welcome recreation area to the neighborhood.
- Central Park Tour: The Belvedere: Beautiful View — Date: July 6, 2019 Enjoy the sweeping vistas of the Great Lawn from the newly restored Belvedere Castle while learning about its history and preservation. Plus, explore the surrounding landscapes and landmarks, including Turtle Pond, King Jagiello, and the 3,500-year-old "Cleopatra's Needle." Details Meet: Belvedere Castle (mid-Park at 79th Street)....
This is the AGBC Concert Calendar for the upcoming week:
- Morningside Lane, Mike Lawlor Banned, and Space Junk is Forever are playing FM Restaurant Bar and Lounge on Friday, July 5th.
- KCON NEW YORK 2019, ATEEZ, EVERGLOW, IZ*ONE, NU'EST, THE BOYZ, and TOMORROW X TOGETHER are playing Madison Square Garden on Saturday, July 6th.
- Summer School: Jonny Couch and GRITS. Outdoor Patio Show!, Jonny Couch, and grits. are playing Hard Times Christmas Liquors at the Sunset Bar on Saturday, July 6th.
- Dirty Bass is playing Schimanski in Williamsburg on Saturday, July 6th at 9pm.
- KCON 2019 NEW YORK, AB6IX, fromis_9, (G)I-DLE, Seventeen, SF9, and VERIVERY are playing Madison Square Garden on Sunday, July 7th.
- Got Ice Summer Fete is playing Knockdown Center in Maspeth on Sunday, July 7th at 2pm.
- Anberlin with I The Mighty is playing Irving Plaza in Noho / Union Square on Sunday, July 7th at 7pm.
- Legion of Skanks Podcast, Joe List, and Mark Normand are playing The Stand on Monday, July 8th.
- Los Campesinos! and Nervous Dater are playing Brooklyn Bowl on Tuesday, July 9th.
- Surfaces (16+) is playing Mercury Lounge in Lower East Side on Tuesday, July 9th at 6pm.
- Earth, Wind & Fire are playing Beacon Theatre in Upper West Side on Tuesday, July 9th at 8pm.
- Dar Williams and Susan Werner are playing City Winery on Wednesday, July 10th.
- Earth, Wind & Fire are playing Beacon Theatre in Upper West Side on Wednesday, July 10th at 8pm.
- Jason Mraz with Ripe is playing The Hulu Theater at Madison Square Garden in Midtown West / Chelsea / Hudson Yards on Wednesday, July 10th at 8pm.
- Alana Davis is playing Rockwood Music Hall on Thursday, July 11th.
- CHVRCHES and Charly Bliss are playing Radio City Music Hall on Thursday, July 11th.
- MajorStage Presents: Live Hip Hop @ The Paper Box (Late Show), Dylie Dollas, and EMO-G are playing The Paper Box on Thursday, July 11th.
- Billy Joel is playing Madison Square Garden in Midtown West / Chelsea / Hudson Yards on Thursday, July 11th at 8pm.
- CHVRCHES with Charly Bliss is playing Radio City Music Hall in Midtown on Thursday, July 11th at 8pm.
- Operators (18+) is playing Bowery Ballroom in Lower East Side on Thursday, July 11th at 8pm.
- Soulive (21+) is playing Brooklyn Bowl in Downtown Brooklyn on Thursday, July 11th at 8pm.
- The Psychedelic Furs, Dear Boy, and James are playing The Rooftop at Pier 17 on Friday, July 12th.
- Charly Bliss is playing The Bowery Ballroom on Friday, July 12th.
- Kevin Johansen (21+) is playing Mercury Lounge in Lower East Side on Friday, July 12th at 6pm.
Thanks for listening! Find more fun things to do at agreatbigcity.com/events.
New York Fact
Here's something you may not have known about New York:
The extreme highs and lows for this week in weather history:
Record High: 106°F on July 9, 1936
Record Low: 53°F on July 5, 1979
Weather for the week ahead:
Light rain tomorrow through Thursday, with high temperatures rising to 91°F tomorrow.
Thanks for listening to A Great Big City. Follow along 24 hours a day on social media @agreatbigcity or email email@example.com with any news, feedback, or topic suggestions. Subscribe to AGBC News wherever you listen to podcasts: iTunes, Google Play, or Podcast Addict, TuneIn Radio, Spotify, or listen to each episode on the podcast pages at agreatbigcity.com/podcast. If you enjoy the show, subscribe and leave a review wherever you're listening and visit our podcast site to see show notes and extra links for each episode.