Manage episode 348335225 series 2869262
Welcome to Episode 102 of the Being Human Podcast: ADHD and Me, w/ Teresa Violette
This week, special guest Teresa Violette joins Dr. Greg on the show to discuss her journey with ADHD and in being diagnosed as an adult. Teresa vulnerably shares how ADHD has impacted her life as well as what has helped her, while also offering encouragement for those with similar struggles.
Discussed in this episode:
- How symptoms of ADHD impacted Teresa’s early years and impacted her understanding of her identity;
- Common characteristics of ADHD and how it impacts daily functioning;
- Why ADHD is an inaccurate name for the disorder;
- The challenges of marriage and motherhood as compounded by ADHD;
- How fear, anxiety, and self-reliance can prevent us from accessing help;
- The significance of receiving a diagnosis and Teresa’s experience in discerning whether to begin medication;
- Hallmarks of the disorder and steps to take to be assessed for ADHD;
- Challenging the false narrative that “taking medication equals weakness”;
- Mindfulness as a tool that can help to slow down one’s reaction to triggering experiences;
Resources mentioned or relevant:
- Need help? Schedule a free 15-minute consultation call with our staff to discuss your situation and how we can support you!
- Learn about IDDM (Mentorship) and how it can help you;
- Visit MyCatholicDoctor or WellCatholic to easily search for a Catholic doctor near you;
- Taking Charge of Adult ADHD: Proven Strategies to Succeed at Work, at Home, and in Relationships by Dr. Russell Barkley;
- Become a member of the Integrated Life Community to get access to every course Dr. Greg has created and to connect with Teresa;
- Download The Integrated App for access to free audio exercises, the Catholic Mindfulness Virtual Retreat, courses, prayer resources, and more;
- Sign up for Being Human, our weekly newsletter, to stay up to date on exciting developments at CatholicPsych;
- Visit our website to read the CatholicPsych blog, shop in the CatholicPsych bookshop, or discover other resources we have available.
- Learn more about our new Certification;
Contact us! Have a topic or a question you would like Dr. Greg to address on the podcast? Want to give some feedback about this episode? Email us at email@example.com - we would love to hear from you!
Rate, review, and subscribe
Please help us in our mission to integrate the Faith with Psychology by hitting subscribe and also sharing this podcast with your friends.
Please consider rating or leaving a review of our show. It helps us reach other Catholics just like you who want to become more integrated, whole, and happy human beings.
For Apple podcasts, click here, scroll to the bottom, tap to rate 5 stars, and choose “write a review.” Then type your sincere thoughts about the show!
If you haven’t already, make sure to subscribe so you don’t miss out on any episodes. Subscribe to the podcast now!