219: How to Create an Exercise Habit Without Driving Yourself Nuts | Kelly McGonigal
Manage episode 338828847 series 172966
In this episode from our archives, psychologist Kelly McGonigal dives into her book The Joy of Movement and practical steps on how to develop healthy habits.
Kelly McGonigal, PhD, is a health psychologist and lecturer at Stanford University, and a leading expert in the new field of “science-help.” She is passionate about translating cutting-edge research from psychology, neuroscience, and medicine into practical strategies for health, happiness, and personal success. She is the author of The Joy of Movement, The Willpower Instinct, and The Upside of Stress.
In this conversation we talk about:
- Why her book is a love letter to movement and human nature
- The science behind the runner’s high
- Why she wants to change the conversation around movement
- Why shame and self-criticism is disempowering and not motivating
- The value of setting intentions
- How Kelly has used psychology and meditation to relieve her own pain and suffering
- And what Tonglen meditation is — and its impact on her life
Full Shownotes: https://www.tenpercent.com/podcast-episode/kelly-mcgonigal-rerun